Oct 17, 2011

NEWMUSICMONDAY: SPANKROCK, THEWEEKND, HERMITUDE, YUNA, CONNERYOUNGBLOOD

Oh my, Oh hi.
Do I have plenty of new music loving for you!
*ps I completely own the non existent of last week's  - the schedule is just getting a little too hectic. However this week there are some songs, that I cant go past letting you guys know about them.
So, lets begin.

1. SPANK ROCK - CAR SONG

Can it get any more dashing than the pairing of Spank Rock and Santigold. Its music to my ears, literally. Always have been a huge fan of Santigold (even when she was Santagold) but I have only recently been introduced to the stylings of Spank Rock.. and I am loving what he is putting down. Hope you do too.

2. THE WEEKND - INITIATION

Oh hell to the yes. The amazingly talented The Weeknd is back with another edgy but wonderful track. I vow that this summer I am literally just going to be sitting around and just listening to the words in The Weeknd's songs. They are all really poetic and have double meaning, which gives this cool extra layer to the songs. I love it when (if you're like me) have songs on repeat but each time you find a new rhythm, or lyric or chord that makes you go "Damn... I didnt realise that bit before".

3. HERMITUDE - SPEAK OF THE DEVIL 

I really cant resist a good song that includes a sing-a-long part to it. And this one has one of the best. Hermitude is also a new addition to my musical repertoire and I cant wait to discover more of their stuff. I really love this track, its been on repeat on my iTunes the whole day today :)

4. YUNA - COME AS YOU ARE (Nirvana cover)

Man, its been a while since I have this consumed and obsessed about an artist/band. And this time the dramatic love for music comes to you via the beautiful, stylish and talented Yuna. I am really liking the cover of this song... she's able to modernise it but also keep the 90s grunge. Mark my words, Yuna is going to be huge thanks to this new signing.


Yuna hails from (my hometownnnnn!!!) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. After some stints and gigs in KL with the prevailing Malaysian indie scene, Yuna caught the attention of New York Record Label: Fader. And thank god she did. Cause her stuff is so amazing. I love that she sings (so beautifully) in both Malay and English. If you feel adventurous, I urge you to go check out two of her Malay tracks - my favourites at the moment: Penakut & Gadis Semasa 

5. ELLESQUIRE - ON THE PROWL

Ah, nice. A bit of Australian Hip Hop action. Always up for that on a NewMusicMonday. This song is hilarious (Listen out for the Hilltop Hoods bit). Just sit back, close your eye and listen to the lyrics - and you will completely relate to it. Either you're Ellesquire or someone who's had to watch what happens in the song.. ;)
Ellesquire is still a little new on the Aust. Hip Hop scene, but if he keeps going with this smoothness, I don't doubt his ability to break it.

6. CONNER YOUNGBLOOD - MONSTERS

This lovely man sort of came out of nowhere for me. But I am glad he did. Hailing from Texas, Mr. Conner Youngblood (not sure if its real.. if the name is real..that is awesome) has the coolest braids and some addictive songs. The other track I am loving being Australia. This song gives it all in my opinion. Great voice.. a nice addition of an eclectic instrument (the banjo) and killer beats. BANJOS & DUBSTEPS. Who would have thought... 

7. FILUR - WIELDING LOVE FT DANIEL AUGUST

I am loving Daniel August's vocals on this track, and his drawing of the words just make it that much more sexier. And Filur's beats help a helluva lot too. I think this track is a hit or miss for most people - so what do you think? Digg it? Or could you do without it??

8. JUSTICE - NEWLANDS

When I first heard the song (so the intro..) I was like oh man... is this some sort of inspirational, time lapse sound track. But then the beat hits and its all good again :) I am really digging a lot of Justice's tracks from his new album Audio, Video, Disco. I am definitely contemplating getting the album.


STREET STYLE TUMBLR // TWITTER // BLOGLOVIN // FACEBOOK LOVE

1 comment:

Oh hello,